We think you’ll love working with Smile. We’ve grown from a team of just 2 to more than 30 – and we’re still growing! We’ve always been a remote team so we’ve got the Working from Home thing down. We know remote work can be daunting, but don’t worry, our onboarding process guides you through all the need-to-knows and helps you become familiar with our work style.
What’s It like to Start a New Job at Smile?
You’ll make your way through the onboarding process for around four weeks, where you’ll get a chance to learn about our products, team and values. You’ll want to get to know your colleagues too, which is why we make an effort to socialize virtually, and sometimes in person.
Getting to Know Smile Products
It won’t come as a surprise to know… we love our products! Our customers are busy, intelligent people and we love making tools that improve their lives and workflows. All new Smile team members need a good knowledge of the products, so you’ll learn about our products in a few different ways:
- Training: As a new teammate, you’ll get a license to TextExpander so you can dive in and try it yourself. This is just one of the items included as part of the Asana board that guides you through your first few weeks of training. It’s self-guided and you can go at your own pace, perfect for us remote workers.
- Customer Support: You might already know that ‘Passion for the Customer’ is one of our core values, and we think there’s no better way to understand our customers than working with our brilliant Support team. Working for a week answering customer queries helps you learn how we problem solve and see all the wonderfully creative ways our customers use our products.
- Team Access: Our virtual office is in Slack – and there’s always someone in! We have different channels for various topics, so you can get help or any answers to questions, or just drop in for a chat.
Connecting with a Remote Team
Your colleagues are all over the world. Here’s how we all get to know each other and stay in touch:
- Slack channels dedicated to socializing. Share a snap of your vacation, your current view or your latest culinary masterpiece.
- Happy Hours. Cocktail, anyone? Join your teammates for a virtual hangout and show your bartender skills with a fancy drink, or turn up with a quick-and-easy-favorite. Mocktails and snacks also welcome.
- Lunches. Pull up a chair at the virtual table for a group lunch. Chat with people in different departments and get to know people’s interests and talk about what’s for lunch 🥙
Learning Smile Values
Here at Smile we have a set of values that we live by. In the first week, new recruits will meet with four different members of our team to discuss each one of Smile’s values:
- Passion for customer
What to Expect in Your First 30 Days at Smile
Curious about your first month timeline? Here’s what to expect in your first 30 days at Smile.
- Company onboarding
- Download your tech stack
- Setting up your accounts
- Learning the tools
- Learning about the company
- Values talks
Welcome aboard! Everyone is so excited to meet you. We start with a bang – you’ll meet with a founder on your first day, where you’ll be able to talk about the company aims and history.
In your first week, you’ll focus on getting to know the team, tools, tech and various accounts you’ll need as part of your role. Get that password manager ready. You’ll also be introduced to the team on Slack, so you’ll be asked for a snappy bio so everyone can start getting to know you.
Next, you’ll get to grips with how we handle remote working, including learning the various social meetings and Slack channels reserved for chat.
Then you’ll meet with different team members, usually across a few days. It’ll give you a good insight into what it’s like to be a part of the Smile team, plus you’ll get to chat with people you wouldn’t normally come across in your daily working life.
There is a lot to learn, you’re not going to remember everything, that’s why the onboarding is aimed at helping you search through our documentation. Even if you don’t remember, you’ll at least know where to look. Plus we have little mini quizzes along the way to help you with recall.
Week 2 & 3
- Working Support
- More learning
- More reading
In week’s 2 and 3, first you’ll join our brilliant Support team, answering questions and queries from Smile’s users. You’ll learn how to use the products, the common queries users have and how to structure the best responses. Then it’s onto planning your 30, 60 and 90 day goals.
- Complete a 1 day project
- Complete a 1 week project – show us your skills!
In week 4 you’ll complete two projects relevant to your role. If you’re in Sales you might prepare and present a sales demo or host a practice webinar. Week 4 is about putting all you’ve learned into practice. It’s an exciting time for us because we get to see teammates in their new roles.
Welcome to the Team
You made it! It’s a busy 30 days when you first join Smile, but we’ve designed it to be as enjoyable and clear as possible. We’re glad you made it and we can’t wait to work with you.