PDFpenPro 9.0, Offering Professional Level PDF Editing, Adds Chinese, Japanese & Korean OCR
San Francisco, CA – April 11, 2017 – Smile, the developer of productivity applications for Mac®, iPhone® and iPad®, launches PDFpen and PDFpenPro 9.0, a new major version of its all-purpose PDF editing tool for Mac. Version 9 introduces over 100 enhancements covering document annotations, Tables of Contents, and export options.
Annotation support is more advanced, including faster access from the Sidebar and more options for copying annotation text.
Navigation by Table of Contents has even greater precision and PDFpenPro users can create and edit entries from a new contextual menu.
New export options include PNG, JPEG, flattened PDF, and more TIFF options. Version 9 also allows for web, fax, and print dpi resolutions of 72, 200, 300, and 600.
PDFpenPro users can perform OCR on horizontal Asian language documents in Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
Search-and-highlight joins search-and-replace in the Find menu, and two more custom highlighter colors are available. The new Hand tool allows for panning as well as zooming in and out, and version 9 also adds a line numbering option.
“From annotations to export options, we’ve improved PDFpen and PDFpenPro 9 in over 100 ways, great and small,” said Philip Goward, Smile Founder. “For our Pro users, we’ve paid special attention to their needs with improved Table of Contents editing and Asian language OCR. We’re thrilled that PDFpen 9 is our most advanced version yet.”
PDFpen and PDFpenPro 9 work with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone version 2, allowing seamless editing across devices when used with Dropbox or iCloud.
PDFpen retails for US $74.95, PDFpenPro for $124.95. Family Pack licenses, which cover up to five computers in one household, are $94.95 for PDFpen and $149.95 for PDFpenPro. Office Pack licenses start at $224.95 for PDFpen (5 users) and $349.95 for PDFpenPro (5 users).
Upgrades from earlier single user versions of either application are US $30, and free to users who purchased on or after January 1, 2017. Upgrades from any previous version of PDFpen to PDFpenPro 9 are $50. Upgrade pricing for Family Packs and Office Packs is found in our web store: https://smle.us/store
PDFpen 9 and PDFpenPro 9 require macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) and work great on macOS 10.12 (Sierra). For macOS 10.10 (Yosemite), see our website for compatible earlier PDFpen versions. Demo versions are available at https://smilesoftware.com/PDFpen/download. Full versions of PDFpen and PDFpenPro are also available for purchase on Apple’s Mac App Store.
What’s New in PDFpen 9:
- Enhances Annotations navigation:
- Select multiple annotations
- Copy text of selected annotations
- Delete selected annotations
- Includes highlights in list
- Enhances Table of Contents editing (PDFpenPro only):
- Adds contextual menu
- Adds multiple selection support
- Combines Table of Contents entries when combining files
- Copy Table of Contents entries
- Adds export options:
- Export to JPEG, PNG, and 1-bit TIFF
- Export to flattened PDF
- Export in grayscale
- Export one TIFF file per page
- Export at 72, 200, 300, 600 dpi
- Adds horizontal OCR for Chinese, Japanese & Korean (PDFpenPro only)
- Supports removing OCR layer
- Create and open links to other files
- Adds initial support for forms which perform calculations
- Find & Highlight all instances of a search keyword
- Adds hand tool for navigation:
- Magnify using hand tool with Option / Command+Option
- Adds line numbering
- Adds two additional custom highlight colors
- Adds keyboard shortcut for ‘Zoom to Width’ ⌥⌘9
- Supports Print button in interactive forms
- Adds visual indicator when navigating Table of Contents
- Smoother navigation to Table of Contents entries
- Shows full text / tooltips when hovering over related items
- Shows resizing handles for items off page edge
- Shows current page and count in document title
- Print annotation list alone—great for highlights
- Improves font smoothing for better readability
- Over 100 other usability improvements
Features Specific to PDFpenPro:
- Create cross-platform fillable PDF forms including interactive signature fields and email or web submission buttons
- Create and edit Table of Contents
- Convert websites into PDFs
- Add and edit document permissions
- Automatic form creation makes existing PDF forms fillable
- Gather submitted form data via backend integration
- Export to Microsoft® Excel (.xlsx) when offline, and to Microsoft® PowerPoint (.pptx) and PDF Archive (PDF/A) formats with an Internet connection, must be a licensed user
- Add and delete file attachments and annotations
- Create Portfolio documents, combining related files together
- Correct typos in OCR text layer
- OCR horizontal Chinese, Japanese & Korean
- Add text, images and signatures to PDFs
- Correct text in original PDF with editable text blocks
- Fill out interactive PDF forms and sign them
- Redact or erase text, including OCR text
- Search and replace, search and redact, and search and highlight text
- Export in Microsoft® Word format, TIFF, JPEG, PNG, and flat PDF
- Scan directly from Image Capture or TWAIN scanners
- Perform OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on scanned documents
- View OCR layer for proofing OCR text from scanned pages, or remove OCR layer
- Edit original images, including adjusting resolution, color depth and contrast, skew, and size of an image or scanned document
- Sign PDF forms via drawing, interactive signature fields, or AATL or self-signed certificates
- Insert and remove pages; re-order pages in a PDF with drag & drop; combine PDFs maintaining Table of Contents entries
- Move, resize, copy and delete images in original PDF
- Save PDFs directly to Evernote
- Preview and extract file attachments and annotations
- Record and playback audio annotations
- Copy and paste rich text; retain fonts and formatting when copying from PDFs, including columns
- Context-sensitive popup-menus enable quick edits
- Add notes and comments, print annotation summary with or without the original text
- Mark up documents with highlighting, underscoring and strikethrough
- Save frequently-used images, signatures, objects and text in the Library; sync Library items with PDFpen for iPad & iPhone via iCloud
- Apply business-related and Sign Here stamps via the Library
- Password protect a document with up to 256-bit AES encryption
- Available in English, Japanese, German, French, Italian, and Spanish
Requirements: macOS 10.11 (El Capitan) or 10.12 (Sierra)
PDFpen Pricing: US $74.95 Family Pack: $94.95 (home use; up to 5 computers in one household) Office Pack: starts at $224.95 for 5 users Single user upgrade from earlier versions of PDFpen: $30 Upgrade pricing for Family Packs and Office Packs: https://smle.us/pdfpenup (Free upgrades for purchases made on or after January 1, 2017; no free upgrades available on the Mac App Store)
PDFpenPro Pricing: US $124.95 Family Pack: $149.95 (home use; up to 5 computers in one household) Office Pack: starts at $349.95 for 5 users Single user upgrade from earlier versions of PDFpenPro: $30 Upgrade pricing for Family Packs and Office Packs: https://smle.us/pdfpenproup (Free upgrades for purchases made on or after January 1, 2017; no free upgrades available on the Mac App Store)
Single user upgrade from the previous version of PDFpen to PDFpenPro 8: $50
Site licenses: PDFpen $1249.95, PDFpenPro $1624.95 Site license terms: Single contact for support; single physical address or company with fewer than 1,000 employees. Visit our site license store: https://smilesoftware.com/sitelicense
For more information about PDFpen, please visit: https://smilesoftware.com/PDFpen/
Press Kit: https://smilesoftware.com/PDFpen/presskit
# # #
ABOUT SMILE Smile makes clever software for efficient people, including TextExpander, the typing shortcut tool for Mac, Windows, iPhone and iPad; PDFpen, the all-purpose Mac PDF editor; PDFpen for iPad & iPhone, the mobile PDF editor; and PDFpen Scan+, which brings the power of scanning and OCR to your iPad and iPhone.
Demos of all Smile desktop products are available for free download at https://smilesoftware.com/.
Smile. Software that’s just right.
Follow Smile on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmileSoftware
Smile PMB 278
350 Bay St., Suite 100
San Francisco, CA 94133