Let’s say it’s your job to remind people to do something. Maybe you are the accounts receivable person, and you regularly need to remind people to pay you in 15 days. If you use TextExpander, your days of looking at the calendar and calculating that date are over! You can create a snippet that automatically inserts a date that is 15 days from today. Here’s how:
- Create a new snippet by clicking on the plus (+) button in the upper left of the TextExpander window.
- Open the Insert menu by clicking on the cursor button located just above the snippet’s Abbreviation pane. Choose Date / Time Math > Add Day(s).
- TextExpander inserts %@+1D, the day math macro, into your snippet content pane. Change “1D” to “15D”.
- Insert the date format you wish to appear, again using the Insert menu. For example, if you want the date to appear formatted as “June 06, 2015”, insert the following:
- Choose Date > Month: January. Add a space.
- Choose Date > Day: 01. Add a comma and space.
- Choose Date > Year: 2001.
- When you are done, the snippet content should be: %@+15D%B %e, %Y
- Give your snippet an abbreviation, such as “d15” or “payupnow”.
Note that any date math macro, in this case “%@+15D”, must precede the date formatting macros, in this case “%B %e, %Y”.