Ⓛⓔⓣⓣⓔⓡⓢ ⓘⓝ Ⓒⓘⓡⓛⓔⓢ
Perhaps you’ve seen something like this on Twitter:
ⓣⓗⓔ ⓐⓟⓟⓛⓔ ⓢⓣⓞⓡⓔ ⓘⓢ ⓓⓞⓦⓝ ⓙⓤⓢⓣ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓔⓥⓔⓡⓨ ⓞⓣⓗⓔⓡ ⓐⓟⓟⓛⓔ ⓔⓥⓔⓝⓣ ⓑⓡⓑ ⓑⓛⓞⓖⓖⓘⓝⓖ— Stephen Hackett (@ismh) October 16, 2014
When I saw that, I thought: I can make a TextExpander group to make that really easy to do, and so…
To add the Letters in Circles group on a Mac:
1. Click the + button under the snippets list and choose “Add Group from URL…”
2. Enter this as the URL: http://smle.us/circles
3. Press OK
To add the Letters in Circles group an iPhone or iPad:
1. Turn off “Ignore Case” in the settings, or you’ll be limited to capital letters in your circles
2. Tap the + button under the Groups list and choose “Add via URL”
3. Enter this as the URL: http://smle.us/circles
4. Tap OK
To use the Letters in Circles group:
Type a lowercase o three times then the letter you want to be in the circle.
oooT gets you: Ⓣ
ooox gets you: ⓧ
ooo4 gets you: ④
(if ooox gets you Ⓧ on iOS, you probably have Ignore Case turned on in the settings)
I chose triple o as the abbreviation prefix so that it’s easy to type on both OS X and iOS, and so that it’s easy to remember.
I included numerals 0-9, but I did not include 10-20. Although 10-20 in circles are available, they won’t work with my abbreviation scheme and expand immediately, and I doubt they’re used very often.
Ⓘ ⓗⓞⓟⓔ ⓨⓞⓤ ⓗⓐⓥⓔ ⓢⓞⓜⓔ ⓕⓤⓝ ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓣⓗⓘⓢ!