Today we celebrate the one year anniversary of the new TextExpander.
One year ago today, April 5, 2016, we launched the new TextExpander with a shiny new app icon, new pricing model, a Windows app, a web app, and support for teams through robust sharing.
We want to thank all the customers who’ve joined us on this journey.
Here’s a wrap-up of some of what we’ve found and done along the way.
- TextExpander customers save tens of thousands of hours every month
- Over ⅓ of our customer base is on the new TextExpander
- The average team on TextExpander has 12 users, each of whom gains an average of 4 hours of productivity per month, and many active users gain twice that—an entire 8 hour work day saved per month
- Simple time savings falls short of expressing the gains in accuracy and consistency throughout a workday that so many customers experience
Creating our own backend for snippet storage has allowed us the flexibility to do some really neat things.
- Individuals can share snippets peer-to-peer via an email address
- Teams have more advanced sharing options and controls
- All customers can discover and share groups with the community through Public Groups, or through a privately shared URL
In the 12 months since the April 2016 launch with its subscription pricing, we’ve released 17 updates to TextExpander for Mac, compared with 7 updates the previous year. A few of those updates include:
- New TextExpander for Windows
- New web app for sharing, billing, and usage stat details
- Encryption at rest
- Customers receive monthly reports on their usage including tips
- New snippet editor with clear controls and improved accessibility
- Per-group notes
- Per-group abbreviation prefixes
- Notification of added groups
- Improved CSV snippet file import
- Server-based import and export
- Synchronized preferences
- Touch Bar support
- Snippet Keys on iOS keyboard
- TextExpander set up on new devices is simplified to a download and sign in